菊池恵楓園バーチャルガイド
Kikuchikeifuen Virtual Guide
audio guide
04.Site of the Keifuen Branch Schools
now loading
■Commentary
Because residents at sanatoriums for Hansen’s Disease were not allowed to attend outside schools, schools were built inside the facilities.
Education for school-age children began at Hinoki Elementary School, established at Keifuen in 1931. The school later changed its name to Kyuryo Academy in 1934 and once more to Keifu Academy in 1941. Along with the name changes, the building underwent reconstruction and modifications.
Since the school during this period was not a government-regulated educational facility, no teachers were dispatched there, and material was taught by sanatorium staff or residents who had jobs in the education industry. Following the Pacific War, with the enactment of a law regarding schools, schools in sanatoriums for Hansen’s Disease became officially recognized. The Keifu Academy was also officially recognized and became the Sakae Elementary Branch School of Koshi Village and the Koshi Junior High Branch School in 1949.
Until the building’s closure in 1976, 168 students graduated from the Keifuen branch schools, and many of them went on to return to society.
■ information
address
inquiry
National Sanatorium Kikuchi Keifuen History museum
tel
096-248-113

NAVI

BACK