The former confinement house is a facility constructed in 1917 with the purpose of detaining and disciplining patients that caused problems in the sanatorium. At one point in time, brick walls were put up to surround the building. Within the building itself, there are three detention rooms. Construction of the confinement house followed the 1916 revision of Law No. 11 of 1909. The revision granted directors of public sanatoriums disciplinary restraint authority, giving them the power to reprimand, discipline, withhold food, and confine residents who broke the rules. Reportedly, the reason most given for putting residents in the confinement house was leaving the sanatorium without permission. And on the walls inside the building, scrawls made by those locked up can still be found.
■ information
address
inquiry
National Sanatorium Kikuchi Keifuen History museum
Construction of the confinement house followed the 1916 revision of Law No. 11 of 1909. The revision granted directors of public sanatoriums disciplinary restraint authority, giving them the power to reprimand, discipline, withhold food, and confine residents who broke the rules.
Reportedly, the reason most given for putting residents in the confinement house was leaving the sanatorium without permission. And on the walls inside the building, scrawls made by those locked up can still be found.